Saturday, November 14, 2015

B283 Week 8 Hire Slow, Fire Fast


Redlands CA Temple
Entrepreneur Journal

Journal

The focus this week was on the importance of your human assets (employees) in your business. Examples from JetBlue, Zappos, and other companies that have modeled superior employee recruiting and hiring principles were studied. The HMM section emphasized some of principles a business owner should employ in the job defining, recruiting, screening, interviewing, and hiring process. Having a structured system that was congruent with the company culture was highlighted.

What a perfectly timed lesson for me. Just a couple weeks ago, one of my three field service people resigned due to moving away to get married. He only gave me a weeks’ notice and that might have fostered some panic and haste on my part to replace him quickly. But, I have been a firm believer in the hire slow, fire fast mantra and this weeks’ lesson only reaffirmed the importance of it. We do have good job descriptions, aptitude testing, and interview format that will make the process easier. I definitely am going to review the HMM information regarding interviewing at least once more before I begin. Since the employee who left was a bit of a weak link, I am excited at the opportunity to bring in a new employee whose integrity and work ethic are more in line with our needs and mission.

 “$100 Challenge” Progress

A bit of an off week for William’s Water. With an increased demand on my time from work (with the resignation of an employee and the beginning of the posting and recruiting process), a busy week of school, a funeral on Sat. for my youth employee’s friend’s father, and joining a family friend going to the temple for their endowment – the priority for William’s Water dropped. I’m still hopeful for a couple more Saturdays for sales and more profit to donate.

No comments:

Post a Comment