Balanced Rock
Entrepreneur Journal
Journal
If you are a
little bit like me, when you see a rock like this and have an overwhelming
desire to get a large pry bar to roll it down the hill; you might be an
entrepreneur. Would you do it just to see if you could? Would you do it because
it’s there? Would you do it for the challenge? I think the best way to describe
the entrepreneurial spirit is, you will know it when you feel it. It is an
urge. It is a desire to make or build something. It is what you think about as
you lie in bed before you fall asleep.
Reflecting on this
last semester has allowed me the most serious reflection on my time as an
entrepreneur. One of the biggest “aha” moments has been a semester-long “aha”
moment. This “moment” came gradually as I realized how differently my entrepreneurial
experience could have been, had I had the information I received piece by piece
in this class. I wish that before I struck out on my entrepreneurial journey I
could have had a guide to describe the path. With that in mind, here are my
words of wisdom for a would-be entrepreneur.
First, get an
education. It doesn’t need to be a college degree, it just needs to be enough
so that you are not going into it blindly. I would also recommend a couple of
books, “The E-Myth Revisited” and “Rich Dad, Poor Dad.” Second, find a mentor.
Become their friend, their sponge, and their student. Third, decide if the life
of an entrepreneur is for you. If you are not sure, then it probably isn’t. You
will need an unwavering commitment, an unquenchable desire or passion, and a
tolerance for failure and risk. If it’s not for you, that’s all right. If it
is, you will be sure to experience some very gratifying highs, along with some
difficult lows.
So here we sit at
the fork in the road. Only you can tell which path is the best. One thing is
certain, make sure the path you choose also leads back to your heavenly home. “For
what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own
soul?” (Mark 8:36) See you at the end of the road, brother or sister.

No comments:
Post a Comment