Saturday, December 5, 2015

B283 Week 11 - Family Businesses


   

 

 Beautiful Arrowbear Lake

Entrepreneur Journal

Journal

Family businesses. This week’s discussions and case studies that looked at family businesses was a great refresher on the pros and cons involved. Having been involved in business with family, I have seen some of these pros and cons firsthand. The key takeaway from this experience is to have clearly (and written) roles that detail specific responsibilities, accountability, and compensation. Without this, anyone going into business with family is setting themselves up for disappointment and possibly irreparable damage to their relationships.

I really enjoyed the ‘You be the Consultant’ activity. I have often thought that I would enjoy being an independent business consultant. I think with my varied experiences and the education I am continuing with, I could be very good at it. Maybe when I am retired I will do it as a part-time job. I have a sense that it would be very rewarding. Either that or teaching part-time. I think the two would be very similar.

 “$100 Challenge” Progress

One of the things I’ve learned with this project is the susceptibility of success or failure being very dependent on others. When you are talking about employees, you have to look at reliability and consistency. When you are dependent on young, low-wage, part-time employees, there are different priorities in their minds as how they use their time. Sometimes they would rather spend time with friends, sports activities, or schoolwork than working with your business. This should be taken into account when putting together a business plan and how you will manage this if your workforce falls into this category. So, no additional sales this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment