El Nino is coming! Get your sandbags!!
Entrepreneur Journal
Journal
Reality is like a
huge sledge hammer. As I was preparing to write the one-page business plans, I
was deciding which “Big Idea” to focus on. I decided to do it on my invention
from when we had small children (about 20 years ago). It was a child carrier
car seat that sprouted wheels and handle and turned into a stroller. I called it
the “Strolla.” Back then, I had even done some crude drawings using the first
version of CorelDraw. I had been excited, back then, about bringing my
invention to market but did not know how and so the idea just sat in my mind.
Over the years as I’ve seen new moms struggle, like my wife did, lugging the baby
around in the carrier and straining their backs. It was either that or pulling
a stroller out of the back of the car, setting it up, and then transferring the
baby. I knew there was a better way; I had invented it. A few years ago, I saw
the advent of the combination car seat stroller where moms could snap the
carrier on top of a stroller, an improvement that eliminated the baby transfer,
but you still had to get the stroller out and set up. As I was pulling my “big
idea” for the Strolla out of the mothballs in my brain and doing some research,
I was hit over the head with the sledgehammer of reality. I came across “the
Doona: the infant car seat that turns into a stroller!” I had taken too long to
do my “big idea.” What a disappointment. While I feel my idea is a better
design, easier to use, and I could do
it at a lower price point, I could never be the first.
As I switch gears
and focus on another “big idea,” I can’t help but wonder; will this idea live
the same life as the Strolla? Will I see someone come along and capitalize on
it? Probably. I can envision my big ideas, I even know theoretically how they
could happen, but getting to that point…, I don’t know where to start. It all
seems so daunting.
“$100 Challenge” Progress
I completed my
one-page business plan for the $100 challenge. I guess, now that my strategy
and goals are in writing, I am committed to them (at least the goal). Even though
the goal is pretty lofty, I am pretty confident I can reach it. I am going to
start implementing my plan by buying the water, making the posters, and
printing the labels next week. Hopefully I can launch the following Saturday.

No comments:
Post a Comment